Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pre 3 - a Pre, but bigger, and with a little more stuff on it

The Pre has proven to be abig flop, despite running one of the coolest operating systems ever to hit a smartphone. I've been a big believer in webOS since it was announced a couple of years ago, but I have been disappointed in the underpowered hardware that accompanied it.
Frankly, it feels like Jon Rubinstein, architect of webOS and former CEO of Palm, is always one step behind the market. He debuted the original Pre with a display of 3.1" at a time when the iPhone wasselling like hotcakes with a3.5" display. The Pre felt too small and cramped. The OS was cool, but there wasn't enough room to move around. He then followed that up with the Pixi, a slower, smaller device. He was forced to sell the company to HP to revive his hopes of webOS being relevant, and then after all of that his latest Pre 3 has a 3.6" display. That is so 2009. Does he not understand that the smartphones that we want have larger screens and better hardware? He has constantly touted webOS as an OS that was designed to be scalable and run on multiple devices, yet we get the same small devices. So give us a high end phone already. Please!!! I know, they've announced the TouchPad and all that, andI'll be getting one on launch day, but I really want a high end webOS smartphone.
The recently announced Pre 3 looks better than thePre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2. It has a 3.6" display and a faster processor, but the same amount of memory as the Pre 2. Maybe that's enough memory, but if you're trying to make a splash in the market to let everyone know that you really didn't die off, but are going to make this massive comeback, wouldn't you include a little more memory?
Did you watch the launch event for the Pre 3? When Mr. Rubinstein took the Pre 3 out of his pocket nobody cheered. He had tosort of encourage people to clap. The reason nobodywas cheering is because the Pre 3 doesn't look thatimpressive at all. There's nothing really new about it. It's a Pre, but bigger, and with a little more stuffon it. There's nothing that knocks it out of the park. Most of the Android phones today launch at 4" or above, and they're selling like crazy. Even Apple is rumored to be looking at a larger screen for the iPhone. But there's the Pre 3, stuck in the pastwith its 3.6" display.
I love webOS. Let me say that again, I LOVE webOS. Ithink it's the best OS on the market today. Its downfall has been underpowered, unimpressive hardware that couldn't make a compelling case for users to switch from their iPhones. Therefore, there isn't a big pool of apps for webOS. There are some apps, but if you want an app these days you really have to have an iOS or Android device.
I will be picking up a Pre 3on launch day and I'm hoping for the best. I really am. I hope I'm so impressed with this new phone that I throw my iPhone and EVO out the window. I have a feeling though, that it will just be like my Pre, but bigger, with a little more stuff on it. Please HP....Pahleeeze! Give us a really, really, really high end phone thatruns webOS!
BGR has a nice hands on with the Pre 3 at the link below. They think it's the phone they've been waiting for. I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment